aig_pagebanner02_Bulga-coal-mine

Latest Australian Geoscientist Employment Survey open for contributions

The December 2015 quarter Australian Geoscientist Employment Survey revealed that employment prospects for geoscientists throughout Australia were the worst since these surveys commenced.

At 31 December 2015, the unemployment rate amongst Australian geoscientists was 18.7% and the under-employment rate was 23.4%. The combined unemployment and under-employment rate of 42.1% was the highest recorded since the AIG surveys commenced in mid-2009.

In the past three months there have been anecdotal signs of some improvement in mineral, coal and petroleumexploration activity. Whether this has translated into improved employment conditions is some thing that this latest survey in the series will test.

Thanks to your support, this survey series is becoming regarded as an important indicator of not only geoscientist employment but the general health of the exploration and mining sectors in Australia. The survey results are reported widely and used to promote and inform others of the health of an industry which is vital to Australia’s economy.

Please support this ongoing initiative by taking a few minutes to complete this latest instalment in the survey series and encouraging your friends and colleagues to do so. You do not need to be an AIG member to participate. Please note that no data that could personally identify respondents is collected by this survey.

Click here to complete the survey. It will only take a few minutes to help make a difference by contributing. The survey will be open for contributions for two weeks (until 15th April).