Australian Institute of Geoscientists
Prepared 12 September, 2018
Approved by Council 3 October 2018
The Australian Institute of Geoscientists (AIG) ABN 22 002 266 659 recognises the importance of privacy protection and takes all practicable measures to ensure the privacy of any Personal Information provided to it for the conduct of AIG activities.
Personal Information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive Information means information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices or criminal record that is also personal information, health information, genetic information, biometric information or biometric templates.
Spam Act means the Spam Act 2003 (Cth).
2. What Information Do We Collect?
The personal information we collect from you includes:
- your name and contact details, such as your address, telephone number(s), email address(es);
- country and state of residence;
- AIG membership status;
- information required to process your membership application or other orders;
- where provided to us, your academic qualifications or employment details; and
- where provided to us, information required to facilitate payment of membership subscriptions, donations, conference and seminar registrations and purchases of AIG publications.
All payments made using online facilities provided by AIG are processed using a secure, external website provided by AIG’s bank. AIG itself does not handle, collect, or store any of the financial or credit card details of anyone making payments through the website and takes no responsibility for the security of that information.
3. How Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
Our preference is to collect your Personal Information directly from you, unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
Information will generally be collected from the following sources:
- the membership application you fill in to join AIG;
- any subsequent information you provide to keep your information current after joining AIG;
- contributions to AIG surveys;
- subscription to AIG online and email newsletters, including our “AIGeoscope” online newspaper; and
- any information you provide to us at AIG related events, locations and functions.
4. Why Do We Need Your Personal Information?
AIG may use and disclose your Personal Information for the primary purpose for which we collected it, such as:
- to provide you with our products, services or business activities;
- to assess your eligibility for membership;
- to verify your identity and membership status;
- to maintain contact with you on matters relevant to your membership of AIG;
- to provide you with information regarding AIG activities and business, events, products or services we offer; and
- to facilitate online payment of membership dues, event registrations, publications and other products or services.
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information for other purposes permitted or required by law, including reasonably related (or directly related, for Sensitive Information) secondary purposes that are within your reasonable expectations.
If you do not provide us with the Personal Information, or you withdraw your consent for AIG to collect, use and disclose your personal information, we may be unable to provide our services to you.
5. Communication From Us
We do not use Sensitive Information for marketing purposes.
We may use and disclose your Personal Information (other than Sensitive Information) to provide you with information on:
- special offers, products and services offered by AIG; and
- upcoming events and functions by AIG,
where you have consented to us doing so. All electronic messages will identify AIG.
If at any time you no longer wish to receive direct marketing from us or do not want your information disclosed for direct marketing, you may unsubscribe using the link in each email message, using the newsletter subscription link on the AIG website home page, or by contacting us using the details below.
Please note that even if you have requested not to receive further direct marketing communications, we may nevertheless continue to provide you with information about changes to our terms and conditions for the supply of our services or activities, and other factual information as permitted under the Privacy Act and Spam Act.
6. Will We Give Your Personal Information to Anyone Else?
We will not sell, trade or transfer any of the Personal Information we collect to third parties, unless permitted or required to under the Privacy Act.
We may disclose Personal Information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- where we need to provide your Personal Information for a specific legal purpose to our representatives, such as accountants, auditors or lawyers; or
- where that third party is a contractor engaged to provide goods or services to us. We strive to limit the information we give contractors to what they need to perform their services for us or provide products or services to you.
Please note that AIG member’s names, membership grade, membership number and state of residence may be made publicly available through the AIG website for the sole purpose of confirming AIG membership.
7. How Do We Protect Personal Information?
The security of your personal details on the AIG website will depend on both your actions and ours. When you use the website, we require you to take specific measures to protect against unauthorised access, such as:
- establishing a password for your personal profile;
- ensuring access codes given to you are secure;
- trying to memorise your access codes;
- not telling anyone of your access codes;
- not keeping your computer and undisguised access codes together;
- immediately telling us if you suspect the security of your access code(s) have been breached; and
- immediately changing your access codes if any breach is suspected.
8. Where is Your Information Stored?
We (and our subcontractors) may hold electronic records of your Personal Information using cloud technology or other electronic means, or in paper form. These means of holding Personal Information may include offshore storage.
It is not practicable for us to specify in advance the location of every service provider with whom we deal and their locations. However, typically AIG’s website and membership database is stored in Australia. Email contact information used for the distribution of newsletters and information collected by AIG surveys is stored in the United States of America. Information collected for our “AIGeoscope” web newspaper is stored in Switzerland.
9. Access, Correction and Further Information
We will provide you with access to your Personal Information held by us unless we are permitted under the Privacy Act to refuse to provide you with such access. Please contact us via the details below if you:
- wish to have access to the Personal Information which we hold about you;
- consider that the Personal Information which we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date; or
- have a complaint or inquiry, or otherwise require further information on our Personal Information handling practices.
There is no charge for requesting access to your Personal Information but we may require you to meet our reasonable costs in actually providing you with access.
We will use reasonable efforts to deal promptly with complaints and inquiries and, in any event, acknowledge your request within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with how we manage your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.
11. Further Information
Ms Lynn Vigar
AIG Executive Officer
PO Box 576
CROWS NEST NSW 1585
T: +61 2 9431 8662