Date(s) - Wednesday, 03/07/2019
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
GSV Core Library
ONE DAY WORKSHOP – CORE LOGGING FUNDAMENTALS
Wednesday July 3rd, 2019
9am – 5pm
GSV Core Library
18 South Road, Werribee (see map below).
The Geological Survey of Victoria (GSV) and the Victorian Branch of the AIG are pleased to offer a core logging workshop. The course is specifically targeted at early career geoscientists. Late career geoscientists may register to attend the seminar, but if it is oversubscribed preference will be given to early career geoscientists.
The course consists of a series of talks and practical exercises and will cover the basics of drill site operations, litho-stratigraphic logging, describing mineralised core, and sampling practices. The seminar includes hands-on exercises in logging cores from the library collection, as well as viewing core under the guidance of the presenters. Registration is now open. Please check the AIG website.
(Note that lunch – plus tea/coffee/juice is provided)
- An overview of drilling styles and logging core – The essentials a geoscientist needs to understand the current industry practices in drilling and logging. (Vlad David)
- The role of geologists and field assistants with – drill contractors, government, landholder, core management (measuring, photographing, mark up), summary logs, record keeping, (Peter Lewis)
- Litho-stratigraphic logging – A discussion of the various styles used in describing: lithologies, mineral content/textures, metamorphism/alteration, sedimentary and structural features. (Peter Lewis and Vlad David)
- Logging mineral resources – A short overview on the methods and styles used for metallic ores, coal, gas, geothermal energy and industrial minerals. (Vlad David and Peter Lewis)
- Logging Exercise – Exercise in producing a summary log(s) of cores on display (lithological units, metamorphism, alteration, structure, mineralisation). Followed by a walk through/ question-answer session with the presenters.
- Wrap-up session
Vlad David and Peter Lewis are experienced geoscientists. Both have worked for geological surveys and exploration companies and compiled many drill logs. They conducted similar workshops in 2016 and 2018.
Maximum number of participants are limited to 20 attendees. Register early to avoid disappointment.
Register in the booking form below. If you have any registration or login access related enquiries, please email email@example.com.
|REGISTRATION FEES (GST inclusive)||Member||Non Member|
|Employed Member geoscientist (< 10 years experience)||$110||$175|
|Honours, MSc or PhD student||$55||$55|
|Full employment Member geoscientist (>10 years experience)||$220||$330|
7 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) are credited for attending this workshop.
What to bring
Bring a hand lens and magnetic scribe if possible. Wear enclosed shoes for the core layout area (hardened toe safety boots preferred). Warm clothing (the library is not heated and it is likely to be cool).
LOCATION GSV CORE LIBRARY
18 South Road, Werribee
The Core Library is about 40 minutes southwest of Melbourne. Access from Melbourne is via the West Gate Freeway to the Princes Freeway (Geelong Road), then take the Sneydes Road exit.
Alternately if you are using public transport, the Werribee train station is 2.7 km from the facility. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to day of the course to arrange a pick from the station.
All attendees will need to read and sign a safety induction at the site office before entering the facility. All attendees are required to be alcohol and drug free while on site.
For more information regarding the event please contact Steven Williamson email@example.com.
Bookings are closed for this event.