Date(s) - 15/11/2017 - 16/11/2017
The University of Queensland
Dorothy Hill Women in Earth Sciences Symposium
Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 November 2017
The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences (SEES) at The University of Queensland is proud to host the inaugural Dorothy Hill Women in Earth Sciences Symposium which will be held on Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 November 2017 at The University of Queensland.
The Symposium celebrates the achievements of notable women in the Earth Sciences and is named after the late Dorothy Hill, who was the first woman Professor in Australia, the first woman to become a member of the Australian Academy of Sciences and its first President.
Professor Dorothy Hill was a pioneer of research, a leader for women in science, a woman of action, and one of The University of Queensland’s (UQ) most outstanding graduates. She was a well-known figure at the University from the time she was 18 years old and beginning her degree until she retired, aged in her seventies. By then she had become a world-renowned professor. Throughout her career, she led by example and inspired women to pursue science and a university education. Through her numerous achievements, she helped to advance the place of women in academia.
This inspirational event will be a powerful two days of learning. Come and learn from, and network with, some of the world’s top female earth scientists. Speakers include:
- Prof Adina Paytan, University of California Santa Cruz, USA
- Prof Kliti Grice, Curtin University, Australia
- Prof Xu, Nanjing University, China
- Dr Zanna Chase, University of Tasmania, Australia
- Dr Emma Gagen, The University of Queensland, Australia
- Prof Carmen Gaina, University of Oslo, Norway
- Dr Vanessa Guthrie, Minerals Council of Australia
- Associate Professor Heather Handley, Macquarie University, Australia
- Dr Sandra McLaren, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Dr Meghan Miller, The Australian National University, Australia
- Dr Michelle Parks, University of Iceland, Iceland
- Dr Catherine Rose, University of St Andrews, UK
- Jill Stevens, ESSO Australia
Further information is available on the Symposium website – www.dorothyhillsymposium.com.au