Date(s) - 26/09/2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
WB Clarke Geoscience Centre
One Day Workshop – Core Logging with HyLogging
HyLogging is a tool to rapidly and consistently log the mineralogy in drill core using infrared spectroscopy. This one-day, hands-on course will describe the concepts and skills of traditional industry core logging and demonstrate the benefit of using HyLogger data to empower geologists and improve core logging. The aim is to compare and contrast what the eye observes and what the HyLogger ‘sees’, to arrive at a more objective and standardised interpretation. TSG software will be used for the data analysis and licences will be provided for the day.
Wednesday 26th September, 2018
WB Clarke Geoscience Centre
947-953 Londonderry Road
Londonderry NSW 2753
Melissa Quigley and Jon Huntington, together with staff from the GSNSW, will direct this training course towards postgraduate students, early career geoscientists and industry professionals. It will cover the application and interpretation of HyLogging data acquired from a selection of NSW mineral deposits housed in the GSNSW National Virtual Core Library facilities. The course will include:
- Welcome and outline of workshop (brief talk) – objectives of the day.
- Introduction to HyLogging – principles, what, why and how.
- Practical 1. Guided traditional core logging exercise by participants. Three drill holes from NSW ore deposits will be laid out and participants will be divided into small groups to log the core over 1-2 hours. Geological background will be provided. An outline of how to log core traditionally will be provided (to aid the less experienced).
- Spectral characteristics of rocks and minerals.
- Demonstration of the GSNSW HyLogger-3 in action.
- Navigating TSG software (practical + talk), working through the screens in lockstep with participants who will be provided with dongle licences and datasets.
- Overview of HyLogging/TSG results derived from the drill core assessed during workshop.
- Practical 2. Drill core analysis exercise by participants with their laptops, working through the processed TSG results either in the classroom or on the laid-out cores to compare and contrast the traditional core logging results and the new HyLogging/TSG results.
- Wrap-up discussion by all reviewing; the HyLogging technology, TSG software, how the technology empowers geologists (NOT replace them) and how the new mineral infor-mation/knowledge extracted can be applied in the exploration and mining industry.
What to bring
Participants must bring their own Windows-based laptop computer with at least 2Gb of spare disk space. Temporary TSG licences will be provided for the day. Registered participants will be sent instructions via email to download and activate the software. Bring a hand lens and magnetic scribe if possible. Enclosed footwear to be worn.
Melissa Quigley is an Economic Spectral Geologist with extensive industry expertise in the application of hyperspectral infrared mineral spectroscopy across a range of ore deposit types developed during her 15 years at CSIRO Mineral Resources and 5 years as a consultant for Spectral Geoscience Pty Ltd. Mel was an integral member of the CSIRO team that developed the HyLogging Systems and supporting geological case studies for industry and has contributed to the development of The Spectral Geologist (TSG) software.
Dr Jon Huntington is an internationally recognised specialist in hyperspectral applications for the Geosciences, co-developer of the HyLogging Systems and TSG software and past Director of the AuScope National Virtual Core Library (NVCL) infrastructure. He is currently a CSIRO Fellow and HyLogging interpretation and training consultant to industry and the Geological Surveys.
*HyLoggingTM, HyLoggerTM are trademarks of Corescan Pty Ltd. TSGTM is a trademark of the CSIRO.
This workshop is also supported by CSIRO and the AuScope NVCL project.
Registration are open now
Hurry up! Only Few Seats Available
Participants: 20 only. First come first served.
If the course is undersubscribed, it may be cancelled and a full refund will be provided to delegates.
Note that Lunch and tea/coffee will be provided.
|Registration Type||AIG Member||Non Member|
|Employed Member geoscientist (< 10 years experience)||$220||$330|
|MSc or PhD student||$55||$55*|
|Full employment Member geoscientist (>10 years experience)||$330||$430|
All above pricing is inclusive of GST.
If you have any issues with registration or logging in to the website, please email email@example.com.
*Not a Student AIG Member? Application and Membership for Students is free, click here for more information.
Interested in also registering for the One Day “Core Logging Fundamentals” Workshop? Click here to register.
I have booked through this online booking system before.
If you've registered with us for an event previously, please login first.
NOTE: This username/email is not your AIG membership login, but specific for use on the AIG website only (for use for event bookings, publications shop, qGIS portal [member access only]). If you are using Mozilla Firefox and experience any issues logging in or registering, please try an alternate browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer and/or Safari.