NExUS-Professional Development Workshop: Sediment-Hosted Base Metal Deposits of the Mount Isa District
Date(s) - Thursday, 01/07/2021
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The University of Adelaide
NExUS Professional Development Workshops
Sediment-Hosted Base Metal Deposits of the Mount Isa District
Date & Time
1st July 2021
(with drill core and hand samples, limited to 30 places)
University of Adelaide
Dr. Richard Lilly and Bradley Cave
Dr. Richard Lilly is an Embedded Research Fellow and Program Leader for the National Exploration Undercover School (NExUS) at the University of Adelaide. He has over 20 years experience spanning the industry-academia boundary. After completing his PhD at Cardiff University he moved to Mount Isa, Queensland to work with Mount Isa Mines (2007-2015). In his role as Senior Exploration Geologist he instigated and co-supervised a wide range of applied research projects with the aim of improving exploration targeting, before transitioning to an industry-funded academic role in 2015. He has coordinated and supervised >65 applied research investigations for the minerals industry on a diverse range of ore deposits including sediment-hosted, IOCG, syn-orogenic and skarns.
Richard is passionate about rocks, ore textures, advancing our understanding of ore systems, geochemical exploration through cover and teaching/mentoring the next generation of geoscientists.
Bradley Cave is currently in the 3rd year of his PhD studying how giant sediment-hosted deposits form. Brad is passionate about ore systems and completed his honours project on the Ernest Henry IOCG Deposit. His PhD uses a combination of detailed petrology, geochemistry and in-situ geochronology to date hydrothermal events at Mount Isa, George Fisher, Hilton, Mount Novit, Mount Colin and Ernest Henry. Through his growing list of publications he has made a significant contribution to our understanding of the Mount Isa and Cloncurry mineral systems.
1st July: NExUS-PD: Sediment Hosted Base Metal Deposits of the Mount Isa District
- Face-to-face geoscience workshop on the subject of Sediment-Hosted Base Metal Deposits of the Mount Isa District
- NExUS-Professional Development (NExUS-PD) are pleased to present Dr. Richard Lilly’s face-to-face workshops on sediment-hosted deposits of the Mount Isa District (1st July) and IOCG deposits of the Cloncurry District (2nd July).
- The fully catered workshops will be co-presented by Bradley Cave and will include up-to-date summaries of recent research projects.
- The workshops are intended for working geoscientists and students and will include drill core from Mount Isa, Ernest Henry and Eloise deposits. Mineralised hand samples from all (15+) deposits being discussed (15+) over the two days will also be available to view.
- The Mount Isa Sediment-hosted workshop will introduce the geology of the district and for each deposit will then cover the exploration and discovery history, key deposit features including ore textures, geochemical characteristics/halos and geophysical signatures.
- Each day will also include a discussion on methods of ore formation with exploration implications.
Note: Separate registration is required for each day of workshop.
Day 1 Intended Program
- Intro to the geology of the Western Succession
- Mount Isa – Cu/Pb/Zn (Ag)
- George Fisher (including Hilton) – Pb/Zn (Ag)
- Mount Novit and Biotite – Pb/Zn (Cu)
- Lady Annie – Cu and Lady Loretta – Pb/Zn (Ag)
- Mount Gordon (Esperanza/Mammoth) – Cu
Full Registration: $350 PER DAY
AIG/AusIMM/SEG/ASEG Members:: $275 PER DAY
Students: $75 PER DAY
Workshop registration includes lunch, morning/afternoon tea and limited post-workshop cold refreshments.
Contact Person: Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone 0497313890
Terms & Conditions
Refunds will be given if notice of non-attendance is received prior to 3 days of the course start date or in the event the course is cancelled